On Tuesday morning around 2 a.m. a fire occurred at Dearman’s Soda Shop. Baton Rouge Fire Department called the fire under control at 3:08 a.m., according to the Advocate. Nobody was in the area at the time of the fire, no injuries were reported. There is heavy heat and smoke damage to the restaurant. BRFD estimates the damage will cost up to $500,000. General Manager of Dearman’s, Casey Evans, said insurance will cover it.
The cause of the fire is suspected to be from an electrical outlet in the back of the restaurant, with a Coca-Cola refrigerator and ice cream freezer connected to it, Evans said. The fire was contained to the back part of the place and some of the roof. Several other stores in Bocage Village Shopping Center received smoke damage from the fire, but nothing too serious.
Instead of complaining about not having a job at the moment, many of the Dearman’s employees are looking at this devastating matter in a positive way. Caroline Mckowen, server of about 3 years, said, “On the bright side, Dearman’s is going to look awesome when it reopens.” Another server, Lindsey Breaux, commented on how busy the restaurant will be. Evans agreed by saying Dearman’s will have a lot of sympathy customers. Evans said the reconstruction process will likely take over a month or so. Dearman’s should be in full swing when summer rolls around.
Dearman’s has been in Baton Rouge for decades as a local family restaurant. It’s known for their delicious hamburgers and cheeseburgers, but also homemade, hand cut french fries, and savory milkshakes and malts. Michael Vinsanau from WBRZ tweeted a video to show the fire to Baton Rouge residents.